I was at FOSDEM this year again. FOSDEM 2018 was held in Brussels (as usual) on February 3rd and 4th. Almost every talks were recorded and can be watched freely on FOSDEM’s website.
What can we see there?
- A lot of people, about 8 000 persons are coming to the event.
- A stack of Turris Omnia routers configured to play Tetris on them… how to push open source too far 😉.
- An open source dashboard for cars (will be soon in Toyota Camry (with a different user interface design)).
- A pyboard playing Big Buck Bunny.
- The FOSDEM’s t-shirt stock evolution in real time.
- The Quadrature du net propaganda against the technology giants.
- The Videolan booth where you can play to win the right to take a picture with JB, a free licence of VLC or like me: a FOSDEM-themed VLC T-shirt.
- A hundred people doing a key signing party.
- Purism laptops… I think my next laptop will come from them.
- And of course plenty of interesting talks like the one about PeerTube a “federated video platform using P2P directly in the web browser”, clearly the best project to replace YouTube, still in alpha, you can have a look on one of the demonstration servers.
What do we eat there?
The fabulous healthy food from Belgium:
- obviously there are some French fries,
- with a frikandel,
- and a waffle for dessert,
- but there’s also sausages,
- and even vegan burgers,
- as for drink there are many Belgian beers and Club-Mate for the Germans 😉.
What do we listen there?
FOSDEM is not known for the music, but you can end up listening to someone mixing musique on a Game Boy: